Friday, February 23, 2007

Today's Trick

As I watch people from all over the U.S. come to this site, I will post additional tricks as they come to me.

But first I want to address the question - "why don't you just change your phone number?" Like I said in an earlier post, that's a huge pain in the ass for me. Not only that, but as others have posted on http://whocalled.us, anyone can become a victim of this - even those who have never ordered anything. I feel like I am making a difference in a small way and that this issue needs attention from somebody - the cell phone carriers! They are the key.

Second, changing my number means that a dingy third world call center can force us to change our phone numbers at any time. That means they win, and I'm certainly too stubborn to allow that.

Lastly, this is fun. While I was war dialing a pharmacy the other night from VoIPStunt, and a different caller ID was showing up every third call, I heard one rep say to his manager "look at this guy! I tell you, he is good!" That brought a pretty big smile to my face.

Now, today's tip. I have noticed that when you call back, some telemarketers simply put you on hold and never answer. This is especially true after hours. And I also know that for my own IT business, 800 number calls are 7.4 cents a minute if I go over my monthly allotment.

So what I did today was pick a particular one that never seems to answer and call them from Skype and VoIPStunt; on VoIPStunt I conferenced them to themselves three times. I let these calls reach their maximum 60 minutes six times on VoIPStunt, and Skype let me stay on three hours at a time twice. (60 x 6 x 3) + 360 = around $106.

Maybe they have a cheaper plan than I do, but I can't help but imagine I cost them some money today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The telemarketers are getting charged for each outgoing and incoming call. The cell phone company gets a piece of each call made to a cell-phone; they charge you (flat-rate or per-minute, you still pay to receive the calls) and they charge the telemarketer (well, the telemarketer's phone company, who charges them). Either way, everyone involved providing phone services is making money on each call. Why stand in the way of it?

Unfortunately, their most expensive resource is not the phone time. It's people on the floor. Every minute someone spends on the phone, that's not going to result in a sale, is a wasted minute. Even with offshore labor, that does eat into their profit margin far more than their phone costs.

The more time their human reps are spending on the phone not making a sale, the less time they'll be spending annoying potential customers.