Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Congress moves to outlaw Caller ID spoofing

I came across this interesting article in regards to caller ID spoofing:

Congress Moves to Outlaw Caller ID Spoofing


While it may have some effect on my efforts, I find that most pharmacies that block my number from a common VoIP client do so only temporarily. Overall I have to say it sounds like a reasonable idea, though.

Finally, as part of my internet browsing about the industry, I came across a guy who has taken the legislative route to try to stop calls. Not only does he go out and sue telemarketers (good luck serving papers in Bangalore) but he also organizes petitions to Congress.

Frankly, I think all of that is a waste of time. It comes back to the cell phone carriers, it always comes back to them - they could implement a system whereby you block calls from particular numbers. Most of the time I find it is one particular pharmacy that starts dialing and persists for months.

If only I could call Verizon Wireless and say, "block this number", or "block 800, 888, and 866 numbers and send them all to voicemail"...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

verizon does have a neat tool known as iobi home which enables you to block up to 20 distinct phone numbers. It is only a couple
dollars a month, and if you are getting harrassed a lot (like I am), it can be a lifesaver.