Friday, September 14, 2007

The Mystery of "Unavailable"

I am being confronted with a new telephonic harasser - "unavailable". "Unavailable" calls me now approximately four times a day, says nothing, and the calls never last more than ten seconds or so. It makes me want to reach through the phone and strangle whoever is responsible for this. My gut tells me that it's not a pharmacy, but since "unavailable" has never actually said anything I can never be sure.

NOT a pleasant experience at 8:00am on a Saturday morning.

At any rate, I decided to call Verizon, and I got a very helpful rep on the phone. I explained the situation to her, and told her how when I used to have Nextel, I could set the phone to accept calls from my address book only. She insisted that my 8300 could do that, and my hopes immediately shot up.

After fishing through the menus for a while, and getting tech support on the line, we determined that it was not possible. This prompted me to complain how my landline had SO many more privacy options. Her defense was, "well, the landline's been around 100 years".

True, but caller ID has not - and not only that, all it takes is a little extra programming to make the phones a little more private.

Please, stupid mobile carriers, SAVE ME FROM UNAVAILABLE! Before my head explodes!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've discovered an app called Should I Answer? in the Google Play Store that seems to solve the problem. Users can rate the calls. There are several useful tools to the app. In the case of "unavailable" you can tell the app to block the call. I'm McLoving it.